[SOLVED] configure exim/fetchmail w/ dialup; daemon trouble.

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!

Adding the indicated line to the exim.conf file appears to have fixed my
problem! See bottom of message.

Here is a story about perfection: Each time I have posted to this list
there has been a response leading to a solution. As a Linux/Debian
Newbie such help is indispensable! There have has also been significant
learning by taking the time to read the list posts & responses.

Thanks!

Barry Mathieu

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 02:19:10AM +0100, Steffen Evers (mldeb@forevers.de) wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 09:23, Barry Mathieu wrote:
> > My problem is unintended DoD.
> >
> > I checked the backup of my old Potato configuration and there was no
> > /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/fetchmail. So, I renamed it to something else in my new
> > Woody setup (fetchmail_daemon). I also issued a "/etc/init.d/fetchmail
> > stop". Now there is no way /etc/init.d/fetchmail should be able to run
> > as a daemon when I start DoD by issuing pon. I have ppp configured for
> > DoD; I don't use diald.
> >
> > Sure enough, when the following appeared in my log, the modem began a
> > connection:
> >
> > Mar 29 08:38:02 debian /USR/SBIN/CRON[7292]: (mail) CMD (  if [ -x
> > /usr/sbin/exim -a -f /etc/exim/exim.conf ]; then /usr/sbin/exim -q ; fi)
> >
> > Exim does this every 15 minutes. I definitely don't wan't my computer to
> > obtain a connection every 15 minutes and stay connected for 5 minutes.
> >
> > As a newbie I really don't understand the full ramification of a DNS
> > lookup. After reading the bug report, it appears that exim doesn't think
> > it knows the name of the machine it is currently running on, and to
> > search for, and assign, the name, it resorts to something that begins a
> > modem connection.
> >
> > I simply can't have exim doing this every 15 minutes. I typically only
> > collect mail twice per day, is there a way I could set exim to run using
> > a timed cron job? That is, not run exim as a daemon. I'll start reading.
> >
> > My goal is to have DoD running so using a browser, or sending mail, can
> > be a single step process.
> >
> > I can't believe such a terrible bug is not being more discussed in the
> > mail group.
> DoD is simply unusable in Debian woody because of this exim bug.
>
> I think your are right: it is amazing how little attention this
> problem has taken so far. However, not so many people like DoD. Most
> want to have full control over their dail up connection when there are
> some reasons to be not online all the time.
>
> My suggestion for your to solve this problem for the short run is to
> give up DoD and work with full control instead. This means you use some
> of the tools like pon/poff to establish and disconnect your connection
> manually.
>
> An alternative would be to use sendmail instead of exim for a while.
> However, I do not know if this worth the effort to learn how to
> configure it properly.
>
> For me the bug was no real problem as I have a flatrate and ADSL.
> Anyway, I will post a more aggressive mail in order to underline this
> problem.

As you convinced me that everything is as it should be I checked again
the proper solution Philip Hazal and I worked out, but which did not
work at that time for some strange reason we could not find.
And this way I found out that the problem has disappeared in the
current version of exim!!!
So, anyone who is annoyed by this DNS lookup of exim can simply set the
following option and it should work fine without looking up the name of
the localhost all the time (it does here):

# This specifies the name of the current host. This is used in the HELO
# command for outgoing SMTP messages, and as the default for
# qualify_domain.
# If it is not set, Exim calls uname() to find it. If this fails, Exim
# panics and dies. If the name returned by uname() contains only one
# component, Exim passes it to gethostbyname() in order to obtain the
# fully qualified version.
primary_hostname = MyMachineName

I suggest that Mark Baker considers to integrate this in the
default exim.conf file. Then he could close the bug #96633 as well.

Thanks for your help Ben.

I am happy that this beast is finally done! :-)

Bye, Steffen