Re: Newbie, configure exim/fetchmail w/ dialup; daemon trouble.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 09:23, Barry Mathieu wrote:
> My problem is unintended DoD.
>
> I checked the backup of my old Potato configuration and there was no
> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/fetchmail. So, I renamed it to something else in my new
> Woody setup (fetchmail_daemon). I also issued a "/etc/init.d/fetchmail
> stop". Now there is no way /etc/init.d/fetchmail should be able to run
> as a daemon when I start DoD by issuing pon. I have ppp configured for
> DoD; I don't use diald.
>
> Sure enough, when the following appeared in my log, the modem began a
> connection:
>
> Mar 29 08:38:02 debian /USR/SBIN/CRON[7292]: (mail) CMD (  if [ -x
> /usr/sbin/exim -a -f /etc/exim/exim.conf ]; then /usr/sbin/exim -q ; fi)
>
> Exim does this every 15 minutes. I definitely don't wan't my computer to
> obtain a connection every 15 minutes and stay connected for 5 minutes.
>
> As a newbie I really don't understand the full ramification of a DNS
> lookup. After reading the bug report, it appears that exim doesn't think
> it knows the name of the machine it is currently running on, and to
> search for, and assign, the name, it resorts to something that begins a
> modem connection.
>
> I simply can't have exim doing this every 15 minutes. I typically only
> collect mail twice per day, is there a way I could set exim to run using
> a timed cron job? That is, not run exim as a daemon. I'll start reading.
>
> My goal is to have DoD running so using a browser, or sending mail, can
> be a single step process.
>
> I can't believe such a terrible bug is not being more discussed in the
> mail group.
DoD is simply unusable in Debian woody because of this exim bug.

I think your are right: it is amazing how little attention this
problem has taken so far. However, not so many people like DoD. Most
want to have full control over their dail up connection when there are
some reasons to be not online all the time.

My suggestion for your to solve this problem for the short run is to
give up DoD and work with full control instead. This means you use some
of the tools like pon/poff to establish and disconnect your connection
manually.

An alternative would be to use sendmail instead of exim for a while.
However, I do not know if this worth the effort to learn how to
configure it properly.

For me the bug was no real problem as I have a flatrate and ADSL.
Anyway, I will post a more aggressive mail in order to underline this
problem.

Bye, Steffen