Re: Newbie, configure exim/fetchmail w/ dialup; daemon trouble.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 23:33, Barry Mathieu wrote:
> I removed the /etc/fetchmailrc file, and issued
>
> /etc/init.d/fetchmail stop
>
> and then I logged in as root and issued
>
> dpkg-reconfigure fetchmail-common
>
> and I made sure a non system wide fetchmail setup was completed.
>
> Then I issued a, "pon" and after a few minutes my system connects
> (initiates ppp to my ISP) without me issuing any command; like a daemon.
> So my problem is still not fixed.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder about exim. Before the system attempts to
> connect, the following occurs in /var/log/syslog:
>
> Mar 27 22:38:01 debian /USR/SBIN/CRON[4209]: (mail) CMD (  if [ -x
> /usr/sbin/exim -a -f /etc/exim/exim.conf ]; then /usr/sbin/exim -q ; fi)
>

> I thought exim simply interacts with /var/spool/mail and did not attempt
> to create a connection. Maybe I'm wrong?

Is your problem about an unintended dial on demand (DoD) or about
unintended retrievel of your emails?

If it is about DoD than it is for sure this exim bug:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=96633&repeatmerged=yes

The current Debian woody is simply unusable for DoD with exim. I have
spend days to find out more about this bug.

Thr problem is that EVERY time exim is started, it initiates a DNS
lookup of your local machine name. No matter how you configure it. This
is at least true when zou do not have a full qualified domain name for
your machine.

If someone likes to look after it, I can provide all information I have
gatherd about this problem so far. The exim upstream developer gave me
some hints as well where the problem could be ...

By, Steffen