Re: Play VCD on computer

Thus spake dman (dsh8290@rit.edu):

> Interestingly enough, an apt-cache search for vcd only shows xine.
>
>From the MPlayer website (http://www.mplayerhq.hu):
"Precompiled packages
It is NOT POSSIBLE to make fast and working binary packages ofmplayer now, because most of options are still autodetected or configured during compilation. We're working on runtime cpu-detection, you can expect it in next major release. Now it's forbidden to distribute binary packages of MPlayer. Some people still make and distribute such DEB and RPM packages over the net, but they were reported to be extremly slow or "just" broken by users. We DO NOT give support for users of such precompiled packages, don't even contact us!"

I think that explains it. BTW, my $.02 US is that MPlayer is
extremely cool, although I have had trouble with the playlist. Their
codecs package is a must-have for the video fiend. I think MPlayer
is also the answer to the .wma thread elsewhere. I've never tried,
but the documentation says yes.