OT: on-the-fly cd copying

can someone tell me why there exists a plethora of cd cloners for
windoze, with which, given a moderately rapid audio-extracting CD reader,
you can literally make full use of a 16x CD writer and have a perfect
copy of your audio CD in 4 minutes, but for UNIX, there isn't one?

the closest i've come is cdrdao, which still takes a ridiculously long
time since it first passes through every bit of the CD, "analyzing" it,
and then starts to read every bit again while piping to the writer. it
doesn't really take significantly less time than ripping and burning
with cdrecord in a script.

correct me if i am wrong, but isn't the act of disk-at-once writing an
audio CD simply writing of a TOC followed by a bit stream? and isn't the
act of reading and copying a TOC fairly simple and not dependent on
scanning the entire CD?

copying audio CDs is really the only time *ever* that i miss my windoze
system... this should not be!

no micro$oft components were used
in the creation or posting of this email.
therefore, it is 100% virus free
and does not use html by default (yuck!).