trouble with install, hard drive error

I'm installing Debian 2.2r potato off the CDs onto my
Toshiba Satellite Pro 405cs laptop.  I ran into
trouble while installing the packages with dselect.
While unpacking, I received error messages on a couple
packages (gimp and something else, i think), and it
told me to run dpkg --configure -a.  When I did, I
received the following error message:

hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete
DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=1010137, sector=921433
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 921433
dpkg: failed to read from
'/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0006': Input/output error

So obviously there's some problem with the hard drive
(I believe the hard drive does have a couple defects,
but I'm trying to limp it along a little while
longer), but I'm wondering if I can circumvent this.
I tried running dselect again, and received a similar
error dealing with /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0006.  I ran
fsck on /dev/hda3 (where all of my files are), but it
didn't fix it.  Do I have to just give up and
reinstall everything?

gabe