Re: OT: COX cable internet service change (after @home)

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 12:12:41PM -0800, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:

|     Greetings:
|
| I have been (trying) to keep up with the @home status.  I learned last week
| that if you are a COX@home user, you will migrate away from @home to cox.net
| in the coming weeks.
|
| No worries right?  Not really.  I really liked the constant (nearly static)
| IP I was given.  I can keep my home work on my firewall box and if I need it
| at school, simply ftp in and fetch it.

Yeah, that's really nice.

| The word I was given by Cox tech locally is that they intend to
| change IP's every 12 hours..

How do they plan on doing that?

The ISC DHCP FAQ :

How can I force the client to renew its lease?

http://arsinfo.cit.buffalo.edu/FAQ/faq.cgi?pkg=ISC%20DHCP&cat=Lease%20File%2fLease%20Misc#121

A DHCP server can't revoke a lease, but it can refuse to renew it.  If
your DHCP client doesn't release the lease they can't change the IP
until it expires.

In any case, get the 'ddt-client' package and register on ddts.net.
Then regardless of what your IP becomes you'll have a name to
reference your machine with (check it out : dman.ddts.net :-)).

The other issue you have to worry about is whether or not they'll let
incoming packets in.  I have Frontier (ADSL) right now, and it wasn't
until last week that any IP packets (from school or work) could get in
to my box.  (I got enough CR, CRII, and Nimda probes to know that some
packets were getting in at least)

-D

--

Commit to the Lord whatever you do,