intrusion detection / logfile reporter

Hello all,

I have some questions regarding system security. Besides of doing filtering with IP tables, disabling inet.d services like telnet, r-tools etc. and setting some general denials in /etc/hosts.deny (plus some other stuff like changing default ports of some demons like sshd), I am looking for some additional security options I can apply to a linux system.

Especially, I am looking for a not-too-paranoid-to-setup-tool that can review my logfiles and report me via beep and/or local mail that it found something unusual in a log. Does anyone know of such a tool?

Second, as a more theoretical question, is there any open source project available that can inspect network packages on application level, e.g. to detect virusses etc. (like sandboxes on huge firewall systems).

I hope not to mix some termini, cos I am not that good in this network stuff...but I hope to learn from your answers. So do not hesitate to post answers 8^).

Greetings and have a nice weekend,

Timo