Re: list etiquette

Alex Hunsley wrote:

> "Karsten M. Self" wrote:
> >
> > on Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 01:02:16PM +0100, Alex Hunsley (fakeAddress@privacy.com) wrote:
> > > Who runs the debian list?
> >
> >     listmaster@debian.org
> >
> > > I emailed the list owner address a little while ago and haven't
> > > received a response.
> >
> > > What I said in this email was: I think that it is
> > > an omission not to say in the confirm list subscription email message
> > > that all messages will be forwarded to usenet. I had no idea about
> > > this, so several messages with my un-munged address are on usenet, and
> > > I'm getting barrels of spam now.  Surely it would be polite for the
> > > subscription process to mention that your messages end up on usenet?
> >
> > A mailing list is an inherently open form of communication.  Assume your
> > address is well known, and assume that your message(s) will be
> > distributed broadly.  The d-u list is archived in any of several spots,
> > and an individual message may be forwarded or posted depending on the
> > whims of the receiver.
>
> Ok.
>
> > I'd recommend spending less time harranging the overworked list and more
> > investing in a solid set of procmail filters.
>
> I would hardly describe a suggestion sent to list admin as "harranging".

  the point is that this is a public mailing list and you can expect the
emails sent to this list accessible to anybody, on newsgroup, on web
etc. This is obvious. It might make some sense to explain it in list
welcome message though...

> I read my email from several places, not all of which have a linux box handy
> (e.g. work). Is there a promail equivelent for windows?

  I am quite sure you can get normal MTA, MUA a delivery agents
situation on windows (although I don't have any experience with setting
such scenario on windows machine).

 as far as I know most people use MUAs with pop3 ability on windows
machines - in that case you have to use whatever MUA is using - e.g.
netscape has fairly good way to set up rules (any header (including
custom header you can define) can contain (is (not), (does not) contain,
begins with, ends with) a string). it's not procmail but it's fairly
good.

  I guess other MUAs contain similar filtering rules.

	erik