Re: shutdown permission to users?

* Neil Glenn <rnglenn@cuug.ab.ca>, 2001-08-14 22:36 +0200:
> You may find this old trick works. Create a "captive account", one that
> does not have a regular shell, rather runs a command - in this case
> /usr/sbin/shutdown. The account name might be "shutdown". Give it a
> password that makes sense in your home.
> >
> > How can I give my users or a group permision to
> > shutdown and halt the machine?
[...]
> > Note for you security concious peeps, the machine is
> > in my home no networked and the users are my family
> > members.

Another idea, as you all have physical access: map either <CTRL ALT
DEL> or <ALT UPARROW> to the shutdown command. For the first
solution, in /etc/inittab (as root):

# What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -h now

Then issue "kill -1 1" (IIRC) or reboot, and you're set.

The kbrequest way is a little more "secret" as the key combination is
less well known. Note both solutions require switching to a virtual
console to work (e.g. press <CTRL ALT F1>, then key combo).

A. B.                                  andre DOT berger AT web DOT de