shutdown permission to users?

How can I give my users or a group permision to
shutdown and halt the machine?

I have added /etc/shutdown.allow containing the users
names, as per Running Linux 3rd Ed. page 77.  (I
seperated the names with newlines.)

This did not work.  I notice that the group and world
permission bits for reading and executing shutdown are
on but still no go.  When I try to shutdown as a
normal user is says I have to be root or superuser.

Your help is appreciated.

ASIDE:
Note for you security concious peeps, the machine is
in my home no networked and the users are my family
members.

Markout.