X window app config questions

Hello

I have recently upgraded to Debian unstable/2.4.7/XFree 4.1.

As a result, I have some simple questions.

1.  In Xemacs my alt-key doesn't work as the Meta-key (M).
I only have a 101 key keyboard and I don't have a windows key on it.

2.  In xterms, and konsole, my home and end keys do not work.  They
only print a ~ key when pressed.  I notice this with either kde or
blackbox.  I don't have the problem when I use a eterm.

3.  Sometimes xemacs will lock up.  I think it is when I am using
freeamp to play audio.  I have disabled the sound server in KDE,
but xemacs still tries to make beep sound.  I'll get a message saying
it can't open the /dev/dsp.  I think when both apps are trying to play
a sound, it causes xemacs to lock up.  Besides not listening to music
while I code, is there something I can do to prevent  xemacs from
locking up?

Clueless in NC

John