Re: How to get packages via a Windows box

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 06:26:23AM -0500, Gary Setter wrote:

[...]
| I'm thinking of a Windows version of atp-get. If I had that, I
| could bring down all the packages for X-window  create a local
| mirror on my dos partition and then run atp-get under Linux
|  this time the local mirror is
| my source).
|
| Has this been done before? Are there binaries I can grab? Do you
| have any helpful suggestions?

I don't know of an apt-get that would work like you want.  For one
thing it would need access to your package database to see what you
have and what version it is.

The easiest way, I think, is to just browse http://packages.debian.org
with a web browser and download all the .deb files you want (and the
dependencies they have).  Save them to your vfat disk.  Boot linux and
mount your 'doze disk and use 'dpkg -i *.deb' in the directory you
saved the packages in to install them.  The downside to this approach
is if you miss a dependency, dpkg will complain at you and you will
need to boot windows to get the needed package and boot back to linux.
If you have 2 systems you could have windows on one and linux on the
other and use samba to share the disk.  This would eliminate the
reboot issue.

HTH,
-D