Re: HELP, caught in a login loop

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 11:47:37PM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
| On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 09:42:37PM -0400, dman wrote:
| > | Apologies for the mis-information. Anyone know why runlevels are set up like
| > | this in Debian?
| >
| > So that you, the admin, can organize the runlevels in whatever way you
| > feel like without any (initial) interference from the installer.
|
| You could remove the word "initial" entirely as dpkg will never [0]
| mess with runlevel changes.

I was thinking more along the lines of RH & friends set up the
different runlevels to have different meanings.  If you then want to
change the meanings then you have to first see what meaning they
already have and then work it to have the meaning you want.  With
Debian they are all identical so you only need to make the mods you
want the runlevel to have.  For example, if you wanted an X display
manager to start in multiple runlevels but have something else
different with Debian you would only need to change the something
else.  With RH you need to add X to the other runlevels as the
installer only puts it in runlevel 5 to start with.

Of course no package/package management system should change your
runlevel configuration on its own (unless you are installing a package
fresh or purging it completely).

-D