Re: Help with Japanese support

On Tuesday 31 July 2001 22:51, Christopher S. Swingley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a sysadmin for an international group of scientists, and a
> recent arrival from Japan was inquiring about the possibility of
> reading and responding to Japanese encoded email with her Linux box.
> I remember that at one point there was a Debian-JP group, and IIRC,
> their packages were fully integrated into Debian.
>
> Can someone give me some pointers on how what packages / configurations
> are necessary to allow my user to communicate in Japanese, while
> still leaving the majority of the system in English?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris

I've dealt with the same problem, but with Chinese, and my solution will
probably work for you. First off, Mozilla supports many character sets,
including Japanese, Chinese, etc, so I suggest using Mozilla for browsing and
reading Email.

What Mozilla won't do for you is allow Japanese input. For typing Japanese, I
suggest using Emacs with the Mule extensions. This will allow you to create a
Japanese-coded text file, which can be copied and pasted into an Email
message or sent as an attachment.

- Robert Storey