Re: zip drive problems...

Subject: Re: zip drive problems...
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 07:19:45 +0800
From: Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
To: Andy Saxena <ansaxena@engr.uconn.edu>

On Tuesday July 31 2001 04:57, Phillip Deackes wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:39:47 -0700
>
> Sometimes the partition you need to access is /dev/sda1 rather than
> /dev/sda4. Don't know why, but I have several zip disks, some where the
> uabale partition is /dev/sda1 and others where it is /dev/sda4. Maybe it
> has something to do with whether you formatted the zipdisks using Linux
> or Windows?

By default, Zip disks from the factory are partitioned as /dev/sda4. That's
just Iomega's standard practice, there is no technical reason why it must be
so. By using the Linux fdisk command, you can repartition a Zip disk as
/dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 or /dev/sda3.

If you aren't already familiar with the fdisk command, it wouldn't be a bad
idea to practice with it on a Zip disk (a Zip disk with no important data on
it!). It's much safer to practice using fdisk on a Zip disk than on your hard
drive. Run "fdisk /dev/sda" and have fun playing with the menus. Once you've
changed the partition information, you may have to reformat the disk with
mkfs.

- Robert Storey