Re: Help with Japanese support

cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu (Christopher S. Swingley) writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a sysadmin for an international group of scientists, and a
> recent arrival from Japan was inquiring about the possibility of
> reading and responding to Japanese encoded email with her Linux box.
> I remember that at one point there was a Debian-JP group, and IIRC,
> their packages were fully integrated into Debian.
>
> Can someone give me some pointers on how what packages / configurations
> are necessary to allow my user to communicate in Japanese, while
> still leaving the majority of the system in English?

Well, if you're using testing (I'm not sure about stable.) you can use
mutt-ja.  But I've never been able to get it to install, as there are
some dependency problems.  I haven't checked recently.  I'm also not
sure about how to get it to work on the console.  Under X, it'll
probably work under a multi-lingual term.

What I do, is run X with a lot of the Japanese/Asian fonts installed.
I use emacs with gnus, which I know supports MULE.  You'll have to do
some minor adjusting to .Xresources to make emacs display multibyte
characters by default, but that's pretty simple, and in the info docs.

If you want more info, let me know more about your needs, and I'll try
to help.

Marshal