Re: mformat, boot disks

One way to make a floppy boot disk that doesn't boot with Lilo...

1) copy your kernel to the (umounted) floppy disk using dd or cp:
   dd if=/boot/your_kernel of=/dev/fd0
   cp /boot/your_kernel /dev/fd0

2) tell the kernel on the floppy disk where your root partition is:
   rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/your_root_partition

The kernel on the floppy disk will boot itself, and then mount and run
from the root partition on the hard drive.

Tom