mformat, boot disks

I'm running 2.2r3 i-386.

1. When I run 'superformat /dev/fd0' the disk is formatted. However, when
superformat tries to run mformat to created an msdos file system, I get the
error message
'sh: error:command not found'
or something similar. When i simply type 'mformat' i get a similar error
message. Should I worry about this? Even if it is not a problem, why am i
getting this message?

2. I have successfully made a lilo boot disk using "mkboot
/boot/vmlinuz2.2.17pre19". But i have also tried copying the binary to the
disk using 'cp' and 'dd'. However, these disks are recognized as system boot
disks, but the do not successfully boot linux. When booting for these disks
the monitor simply displays "loading........" but does not successfully load.
Am I copying the wrong file, or will this method simply not work with Debian?
Regardless, how can I create a 'normal' boot disk? (one that doesn't use lilo)