Re: mod_ssl vs. apache-ssl

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 11:58:50AM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> moin, moin,
>
> which should one use and why?
>
> At a consulting gig with another dist the web developers suggested mod_ssl
> was what got approval from the apache group.
>
> Does anyone have any input as to which is better? Does debian prefer one or
> the other?
>
> I need both ports 80 and 443. Initially the ssl is just to lock down a new
> tree, but eventually the main web site should be available encrypted as well
> as not encrypted.

With something as important as apache, I'd *alway* suggest compiling it from
source. Along with OpenSSL, and mod_ssl, then follow the instructions, and it
should work fine.

You might want to set up a Debian-style layout for installation to 'debian'
places: simply add the following to the $apache_src/config.layout:
<Layout Debian>
    prefix:        /
    exec_prefix:   $prefix
    bindir:        $prefix/usr/bin
    sbindir:       $prefix/usr/sbin
    libexecdir:    $prefix/usr/lib/apache/1.3.19
    mandir:        $prefix/usr/man
    sysconfdir:    /etc/apache
    datadir:       /usr/lib/apache/data
    iconsdir:      $datadir/icons
    htdocsdir:     $datadir/htdocs
    cgidir:        $datadir/cgi-bin
    includedir:    $prefix/include/apache
    localstatedir: /var
    runtimedir:    $localstatedir/run
    logfiledir:    $localstatedir/log/apache
    proxycachedir: $localstatedir/cache/apache
</Layout>

Then when you run ./configure, use a --with-layout=Debian

That's how I do it...

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham,

Using Debian/GNU Linux
Enjoying computing

It said 'Required Windows XP or better.'
So I installed Linux.