Re: Kernel 2.4.5 at last! Problems

%% User zos <zos@starpower.fks.bt> writes:

  uz> IIRC in all the kernels I've compiled from 2.2.x and on you could
  uz> always select ext2fs support or not. This makes sense as linux is
  uz> just a kernel and should not be dependent on any particular file
  uz> system, especially now with the advent of more robust filesystems
  uz> (eg: ReiserFS, ext3).

I think you miss the point Andon was trying to make:

You _can_ select whichever filesystem type you want for your root
partition (AFAIK).

The rule is that whatever filesystem type you select for your root
partition _must_ be built into the kernel.  It can't be a loadable
module.

Consider: how can the kernel load the module that contains the code needed
to access the filesystem, when it can't access the filesystem until the
module is loaded?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools