Re: An *idea* that *might* put Debian on top (?)

On 24.06.01 at 22:32 Mark Garland wrote:
>So--my experience is that the installation of a basic working Debian
system
>is not too hard.  Configuring peripherals is hard!

Yes, I'd agree, that was my experience as a debian newbie also. The
basic system installation is friendly, X and Gnome take some RTFM, but
peripherals...arrrgh!

For example, after I'd installed slink, I found out I'd need to upgrade
the kernel to use some peripherals. That could be pre-diagnosed and
help offered. It can otherwise be quite baffling and a reason to leave
debian slumbering. It would be interesting to know how many people
tried debian, then left it due to such difficulties. I guess nobody
knows that.

So, I'd say, a little more help with X and Gnome installation is
required and a lot more guidance with peripherals.

I'm not fond of plug-n-play, and wouldn't go that far in taking control
over a system. But it would be good to guide, then prompt users with
the options they have for installing a given hardware component. It
would all be optional of course.

>BTW, is comparing OS's on their ease of installation useful outside
the
>Linux world?  I don't think many users of Windows have ever installed
the
>OS.

True, but once people have used Windows, they have used many GUI setup
programs and if debian installed with ease they might well try it.

Marcus