Re: An *idea* that *might* put Debian on top (?)

"Jack Pryne" <jianju@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'm totally new to the list, and I'm not even running Debian yet, but I have
>an idea that I'd like to bounce off the group:
>
>Consider that one of the major reasons that people don't use any operating
>system besides windows is because they need to *install* it. Most machines
>are delivered with Windows already running. Installing a new operating
>system can be a major hurdle, even for someone with computer experience.
>
>What if installation *and* maintainence could be managed by a single simple
>program, freeing the novice user from mountains of research, tweaking, and
>testing?

Please feel free to write the code. If you have ideas about how to
improve our installation, you might want to direct them to the
debian-boot mailing list, who collectively maintain the installer; a new
installer is in development for the next-but-one release.

On the maintenance side, I reckon Debian is doing pretty well, although
hardware detection is certainly a weakness.

>True, while many pieces of hardware may, as of yet, be unsupported by
>Debian, such a system would be able to report precisely *which* pieces of
>unsupported hardware were the *most* common amongst it's users, thus
>providing vital feedback to the Debian developer community about what
>drivers need to be developed in order to continue the impetus that is
>Debian.

Bear in mind that most of this stuff needs to go to the kernel
developers, not Debian ...