Re: An *idea* that *might* put Debian on top (?)

On 24.06.01 at 12:24 Jack Pryne wrote:
>Imagine a P2P network of Debian users who *all* shared their system
>configuration information...

Sounds basically like a good idea to me. It also sounds like a tall
order, but why not, if the security issue can be handled :-)

One thing I definately agree on is that Debian could do with easier
installation, or at least more user guidance.

Personally I decided on Debian after trying Suse and Red Hat first.
However, I've been following the Linux distro rankings in one computer
magazine (CHIP, Germany), and Debian is rated lowest amongst 7 others.
I think this is mainly due to lacking "user guidance" during setup and
package installation. I've not installed potato from scratch myself,
but I guess those ratings are based on potato.

What is the general opinion?
That Debian is not for users who cannot deal with it the way
setup/maintenance is designed now, or that it is a goal to also include
users unfamiliar with the command line someday?
I believe Suse and Mandrake are following the latter path?

Just curious.

Marcus