Re: Sterling pound symbol

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 08:50:28AM +0000, Robin Cosby wrote:
> As a newcomer to Debian (I've just installed Version 2.2r4), I'm having
> difficulty in getting the system to produce the Sterling pound symbol when
> [SHIFT] 3 is pressed.  Instead, I get a hash (octothorp) symbol plus a
> new line.

If you're talking about typing it at a shell prompt, the problem is that
the pound sterling symbol has its top (eighth) bit set, which bash
doesn't like in its default configuration. I put the following line in
~/.inputrc:

Meta-#: "\C-v£"

Of course, you still have a problem with getting the £ into that file,
but it's generally easier in editors than at the shell.

There's almost certainly a better way to do this, probably involving
input-meta or similar, but the above works for me.