Sterling pound symbol

Good morning!

As a newcomer to Debian (I've just installed Version 2.2r4), I'm having
difficulty in getting the system to produce the Sterling pound symbol when
[SHIFT] 3 is pressed.  Instead, I get a hash (octothorp) symbol plus a
new line.

When trying "kbdconfig" and selecting "/i386/qwerty/uk", the symbol appears
during the testing procedure, but not thereafter.  In all other aspects the
UK keymap is OK.

I've trawled through the "bug" archives (and Google.com), where I have
found one article in which it is stated that this problem has been
resolved in the "Woody" boot floppies.

Is there some way in which this symbol can be activated by editing a file
or files in the current Potato version?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

--