Re: Mail client with SMTP AUTH?

Nathan Weston <nweston@hamilton.edu> writes:

> Hello, My school just switched to a new mail server, and without
> warning began requiring SMTP authentication to send mail off
> campus. I've been using KMail which doesn't seem to support this.
>
> At the moment I have Sylpheed installed, but it's even uglier than
> most GTK programs (dons flame suit).
>
> Can anyone suggest a mail client which will do SMTP AUTH?  Here's what
> I'm looking for:

I would just set up your MTA (exim|postfix|sendmail|etc.) to deliver your
mail for you and then you'd be free to choose any mail client you'd
like.  I know exim can do SMTP AUTH, and I'd assume the others can too.

>   Addressbook, including lists... support for kab would be nice, since
>    that's where all my data is now. Ideally it would connect to a
> full-featured, external
>    address book, so that I can store phone numbers, email, etc all in
> one place, rather
>    than having separate address data just for my email client.
>   Decent filters
>   Support multiple accounts
>   IMAP would be nice
>   A KDE or QT interface would be nice... I would also consider a
> non-GUI program
>    (having heard lots of rave reviews about mutt and gnus)

Gnus with bbdb would meet all these criteria, except for kab.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org