Re: "testing" dist X won't come up functional

* Xeno Campanoli (xeno@eskimo.com) spake thusly:
> First of all, I've tried to use apt-get to give the "testing" distribution
> itself a chance to solve my problems, and have failed at it now for about a
> week.  Second, every time I do an apt-get upgrade I get a dialog sequence
> to regenerate an X configuration, even when  I say I don't want it on the
> first selection, and then every time I go through the sequence it fails
> at the end.  Is there a way I can delete something to start over, or is this
> just a planned feature to drive users like me away from venturing into using
> the "testing" distribution just as the lack of critical security software
> upgrades in "stable" seem to be calculated to drive users into the "testing"
> and "unstable" distributions?

I had the same problem, and several people on this list told me
it couldn't be hapening & I must have been dreaming. Strangely,
after reading that I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and
the problem went away.

You can also make /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 chattr +i (man chattr),
this way dexconf will not be able to fsck it up.

Dima
--
I like the US government, makes the Aussie one look less dumb and THAT is a
pretty big effort.                                               -- Craig Small