"testing" dist X won't come up functional

First of all, I've tried to use apt-get to give the "testing" distribution
itself a chance to solve my problems, and have failed at it now for about a
week.  Second, every time I do an apt-get upgrade I get a dialog sequence
to regenerate an X configuration, even when  I say I don't want it on the
first selection, and then every time I go through the sequence it fails
at the end.  Is there a way I can delete something to start over, or is this
just a planned feature to drive users like me away from venturing into using
the "testing" distribution just as the lack of critical security software
upgrades in "stable" seem to be calculated to drive users into the "testing"
and "unstable" distributions?