From: eDoc [mailto:e.net@verizon.net]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 10:11 PM
To: Jeff Licquia
Cc: Glen Mehn; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Recognizing Kernel Update to 2.4.12

> Did you 'make config' first? (or make menuconfig, etc?) Otherwise, you are
> almost 100% sure to end up with an unusable kernel...

Uh, oh.  Not sure if I did this or not ... way to many iterations for my
sieve-for-a-brain to recall.

> running `make menuconfig` from your top-level kernel directory,however.
it's
> much more user-friendly, and you can go back and make changes.

Too late ... see below.

> I would also *highly* suggest following along in the kernel-howto as well,
> while you're compiling your kernel for the first time.
> glen

OK.  next time ... :-)

>  - cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.13
>
>  - Configure the kernel.  This isn't Debian-specific.  Some people
>    like "make menuconfig", others "make xconfig", others just plain
>    "make config".  One handy tip: Debian kernel packages store their
>    configs in /boot/config-X.Y.Z, so you can start with a good kernel
>    config and go from there.  If you do that and just want to be asked
>    the questions that are new since that kernel version, run "make
>    oldconfig".
>
>  - Pick a Debian package revision for your kernel stuff.  I generally
>    pick something that describes the purpose of the kernel and a
>    version, such as "laptop.1".
>
>  - Run "make-kpkg clean".

Ooops!  Missed this step.

>  - Run "make-kpkg --revision=<revision> kernel_image".

Uh oh.  I just ran "make-kpkg" since i have frequently been told to do that.

(All of my hacking around seems to have "accidently" resulted in
make-kpkg "deciding" to respond!)

The hundreds of choices are, as usual, poorly documented internally
so I guessed on the few for which I did not accept the default.

CONFIG_HOTPLUG Y
PCMCIA/CardBus Y
CardBus Support Y
i82365 comp. bridge N (this may have been the default)
ParallelPort (CONFIG_PARPORT) Y
PC-Style hardware (CONFIG_PARPORT_PC) Y
Support for PCMCIA Mgmt. for PC-style Ports
(CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_PCMCIA) Y
PCMCIA Network (CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA)  Y
3com 589 Y
Ham Radio Y
PCMCIA Serial devices (CONFIG_PCMCIA_SERIAL_CS) M
***I was thinking this may be necessary for my PCMCIA modem***
Video for Linux Y
***Was hoping this might help to get my Nogatech USB video
adapter/dongle to interface with my cancorder or other video device***

>  - If that succeeds, run "make-kpkg modules_image".

Did this ... tons of code scrolled by.

>  - If you think you may need to compile other modules for this kernel
>    after you've built other kernels with this source tree, run
>    "make-kpkg kernel_headers".

Did this ... tons of code scrolled by.

>  - cd /usr/src

OK.

>  - ls -l *deb

HOORAY!  kernel-headers-2.4.12_100.Custom_i386.deb is there!
Also, from a while back, is modutils_2.4.10-3_i386.deb

It is something more than before ... though I am not sure it is what I need.

Is it?

> You should now have a list of Debian packages on your screen,
> corresponding to the kernel packages you just built (and maybe some
> older ones, if you've been building kernels before).  Run a "dpkg -i"
> on them, and you're all set.

I tried "dpkg -i kernel-headers-2.4.12_100.Custom_i386.deb" but it
spit-up ...

So I tried "dpkg -i *.deb"

It downgraded modutils from 2.4.10-4 to 2.4.10-3 and then setup
kernel_headers and modutils.

Nothing new in /boot

What now, please?

> I *highly* suggest your installing at least the libncurses5-dev package
> glen

"find -name libncurses5-dev" says nada.
"apropos libncurses5-dev" says nada.

Ran "apt-get install libncurses5-dev" seemed to go OK.

I need to "halt" for the night but should be able to resume this some time
late tomorrow evening.

Thanks!  doc