Re: Recognizing Kernel Update to 2.4.12

Thus spake eDoc:
> > you need to, as in the documentation, run make-kpkg from the top-level
> kernel
> > directory, which will depend on where you put your kernel source. This is
> typically
> > either /usr/src/linux or /usr/src/kernel-source-<kernelversion>
> > glen
>
> kernel-source?  You mean "linux-2.4.12.tar.gz?
>
> Or do you mean "linux-2.4.12.gz"?
>
> "linux-2.4.12.tar.gz" is in /usr/src and I tried to run "make-kpkg" there.
> No go.
>
> Neither "linux-2.4.12.gz" or "kernel-source-2.4.12" exist according to
> "find -name linux-2.4.12*" and "find -name kernel-source-2.4.12*" issued
> from /
> This despite following all of the suggested commands from this list and
> others to
> cause it to be created (e.g. "tar -xvvzf linux-2.4.12.tar.gz") from docs or
> man or
> whatever resource I found that.
>
> Somewhere folks are assuming that I am taking a step that they have not
> explicitly stated and thus the creation of the critical kernel-source in the
> necessary format in the necessary location is not happening.
>
> As always I have perused man, docs, help, articles and posts, and every
> other
> online resource I can find.  All assume things not explicitly stated or use
> terminology I do not as-of-yet understand fully.
>
> Help?
>
> Thanks!  Doc

I am unfamiliar with make-kpkg, but perhaps I can help with other
things.  There are several different kinds of debian kernel packages.
There's kernel-headers-2.x.x kernel-source--2.x.x kernel-image-2.x.x,
and then kernel-patch-2.x.x, I believe.  If you want the kernel source
for a particular veresion, apt-get install it should work - you'll get
the tar.gz in /usr/src, and some documentation in /usr/shar/do.  You
then have to unzip and untar the single file that you have into a
directory tree - either tar -xxvzf foo or gunzip foo | tar xvvf work
fine.  You will then be left with a directory named kernel-source-2.x.x
in /usr/src/.  What you have right now, from the sounds of it, is the
zipped tarball that the kernel source is distributed in.  If you do the
above steps, and get a directory, just cd into, and then run make-kpkg.
Good luck,
Steve

--
The only constant is change.