RE: Going down the Rabbit Hole (was: apt-get sources.list question)

--- "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> This is among the reason few seasoned Debian users
> install from CD -- base tarball plus boot floppies
> is generally sufficient, packages are snared over
> the 'Net.
Well, I came here to learn, so where would I find
documentation outlining this procedure? Or where would
I be able to find the base tarball. Looked on Debian's
ftp sites, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Well, http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-install-methods.en.html
deals with the installation methods and look under section 5.5 "installing
from floppy disks".  It deals with installing the latest STABLE
distribution.

Personnaly, I install the base system from an old CD, then edit
/etc/apt/sources.list to point to the distribution I want and then do an
"apt-get dist-upgrade".  When you have installed the base system from CD,
sources.list contains entries for the internet setup, but they are commented
out. Simply uncomment them and comment out the entries for the CDs.
However, the primary servers may be slow, so I recommend using other
servers, which can be found at http://www.debian.org/misc/README.mirrors
Just use the one closest to you, or when you decide to upgrade to the woody
(aka testing) distribution, you can use the apt-spy package to determine the
fastest server for you (install and read the man page)