Re: Real Player as Plug-in

Bob Underwood wrote:

> On Monday 17 September 2001 03:00, Erik Steffl wrote:
> >   I have also sent this to debian-user, I think other users might be
> > interested...
> >
> > Bob Underwood wrote:
> >
> > > i looked at all the files in the /usr/lib/RealPlayer8 directory and
> > > all appear correct.  No mention of .rpm at all
> > >
> > > the .netscape/plugin-list file is below.  I tried editing it by hand
> > > without success.  the rpm always reappears.  how is this file generated?
> > > how can it be edited?

> >   I don't think you have to care about this file, what you need to do is
> > the following:
> >
> >   edit /etc/mailcap (see also Mailcap file in realplayer distribution)
> > and add the following (search for User Section Begins first):
> >
> <<snipped>>
> >
> >   /etc/mime.types already has the line for realplayer, but you can also
> > check it against Mime.types from reaplayer distribution), it looks like
> > this (or multi-line format, I guess they have the same meaning):
> >

> <<<snipped again>>>
>
> >   the above should work no matter what WM/desktop you use (gnome, kde or
> > other). For other browesrs you have to figure out where they have their
> > plugins, I think mozilla, konqueror and galleon can use netscape plugins
> > so you only need to copy them to proper directory (mozilla has plugins
> > in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/).
> >
> >       erik
>
> neither mailcap nor mime.types was installed on my system.  I just installed
> the mime-support package and will edit it.  Hopefully that will solve the
> situation.

  yes, mime-support is the one responsible for default files in /etc.
but netscape has its own mime support files:

communicator-base-477: /usr/lib/netscape/477/communicator/mailcap
communicator-base-477: /usr/lib/netscape/477/communicator/mime.types

  the other alternative is to have ~/.mime.types and ~/.mailcap, but
that only sets it for the particular user (and I am not 100% sure that
netscape would use it).

  so I guess you can use those as well, but using the ones in /etc is
probably the best solution...

	erik