Real Player as Plug-in

surely, I'm missing something here.  I've spent quite a bit of time over two
days looking in the archives, but still haven't a clue.

I've downloaded and installed the realplayer package, which apparently
debianizes and then installs the rp8_linux20_libc6_i386_cs2_rpm file
previously downloaded from real.com

however, when i open the "about plugins" in netscape navigator, it shows the
rpm extension as being the only ones associated with the plug in.  i have
added the following to the helper applications:
MIMEType:  audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin
Suffixes:  ra,ram

checked the box to make this default and checked the rpnp.so plug in.

real audio works as a stand alone from my box, but not as a helper app.  this
is a woody box with kernel 2.2.19 installed.

any ideas?

tia

bob