Re: Real Player as Plug-in

  I have also sent this to debian-user, I think other users might be
interested...

Bob Underwood wrote:
> i looked at all the files in the /usr/lib/RealPlayer8 directory and
> all appear correct.  No mention of .rpm at all
>
> the .netscape/plugin-list file is below.  I tried editing it by hand without
> success.  the rpm always reappears.  how is this file generated?  how can it
> be edited?

  I don't think you have to care about this file, what you need to do is
the following:

  edit /etc/mailcap (see also Mailcap file in realplayer distribution)
and add the following (search for User Section Begins first):

# ----- User Section Begins -----
#

# erik:
start
#
# this is from realaudio
distribution
#
#mailcap entry added by Netscape
Helper
audio/x-pn-realaudio;realplay
%s
#
# erik:
end

# -----  User Section Ends  ----- #

  /etc/mime.types already has the line for realplayer, but you can also
check it against Mime.types from reaplayer distribution), it looks like
this (or multi-line format, I guess they have the same meaning):

audio/x-pn-realaudio                            ra rm ram

  copy the plugins to /usr/lib/netscape/477/communicator/plugins (or
whatever your version of netscape is), the plugins are:

  rpnp.so
  raclass.zip

  if you only want it for specific user than copy them to
$HOME/.netscape/plugins (see pluginstall.sh)

  if you don't know where exactly the system netscape plugin directory
is try (if first doesn't work, try second):

  locate libnullplugin.so
  find / -name libnullplugin.so

  and copy the realaudio plugin files there...

  this should work, you need to restart netscape. I don't think you have
to touch ~/.netscape/plugin-list (AFAIK netscape generates it) but
here's what mine says (the part relevant to realplayer):

pluginDescription=The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes
and extensions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new
plugins.
/usr/lib/netscape/477/communicator/plugins/rpnp.so 977361354
audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin: rpm:RealPlayer Plugin
Metafile;
pluginName=RealPlayer(tm) 7.0
Plug-In
pluginDescription=RealPlayer(tm) 7.0 LiveConnect-Enabled
Plug-InpluginDescription=The default plugin handles plugin data for
mimetypes and extensions that are not specified and facilitates
downloading of new plugins.
/usr/lib/netscape/477/communicator/plugins/rpnp.so 977361354
audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin: rpm:RealPlayer Plugin
Metafile;
pluginName=RealPlayer(tm) 7.0
Plug-In
pluginDescription=RealPlayer(tm) 7.0 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In

  also check the /etc/pluggerrc, if it has realaudio related line,
comment it out.

  the above should work no matter what WM/desktop you use (gnome, kde or
other). For other browesrs you have to figure out where they have their
plugins, I think mozilla, konqueror and galleon can use netscape plugins
so you only need to copy them to proper directory (mozilla has plugins
in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/).

	erik