Re: Installed netscape, but how do I start it?

on Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 10:57:57PM -0400, Peter Christensen (christensen@gtcinternet.com) wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions!  I really am trying to learn the
> basics of Linux, a few weeks ago bought Peter Norton's _Complete Guide
> to Linux_, but am finding it not too helpful at this point.  (The book
> was on sale, remaindered, I guess not a big seller!)  Karsten, I will
> check out the books that you recommended.  I really do need more
> instruction!

I find most of the Norton's, SAMS, "Unleashed", "In 24 Hours", "In 10
Days", "Maximum...", "...for Dummies", and "Total Idiots Guide..." books
to be poor, though there are the odd exceptions.

I tend to recommend O'Reilly, Wiley, Morgan Kaufman, and Addison Wesley.

> I installed both Linux 2.1 (kernel 2.1.121 shows up in a message at
> startup time) and Netscape 4.75 from CDs.  (I copied the .tar file for
> Netscape from the CD)  I installed Netscape because I had problems
> with the Mozilla that came on the Debian CDs.  I was able to connect
> to my ISP, then start Mozilla, but the one thing that I couldn't do in
> Mozilla was go to a website by typing in the URL then hitting enter.

If you're installing from CDROM, you're almost certainly getting an
older version of the project.  M-18 and 0.80 are older releases of
Mozilla, the 0.90 series is far superior in stability, speed, and
functionality.

The prime advantage of Debian is that the software update system that
makes getting the latest'n'greatest far, far simpler than on any other
GNU/Linux distro, both in terms of identifying the proper versions of
updated software, and what it is that the software needs to work
properly (dependencies).  You're going about it the wrong way.

> Karsten, I tried the $ echo $PATH command and it listed five paths, none
> of which contained the netscape executable.  When I switched to
> /usr/local/netscape and typed:
>
>   ./netscape
> or
>   /usr/local/netscape/netscape
>
> I got the following:
>
>   error in loading shared libraries
>   libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2:  cannot open shared object file:  no such
> file or directory
>
> Is this because Netscape 4.75 has problems?  If I buy a new set of
> Debian CDs (from Cheapbytes, where I bought the last set), would it
> come with a working browser?

It should.

Or you can edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file to include the following
(for the stable track):

    # apt package archives, stable only
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
    deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

and run:

    $ apt-get update
    $ apt-get install konqueror
    $ apt-get install mozilla

...which should give you two highly functional browsers in their latest
release.  You'll need an Internet connection.

Peace.

Praying for the victims.