Re: Installed netscape, but how do I start it?

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I really am trying to learn the basics
of Linux, a few weeks ago bought Peter Norton's _Complete Guide to
Linux_, but am finding it not too helpful at this point.  (The book was
on sale, remaindered, I guess not a big seller!)  Karsten, I will check
out the books that you recommended.  I really do need more instruction!

I installed both Linux 2.1 (kernel 2.1.121 shows up in a message at
startup time) and Netscape 4.75 from CDs.
(I copied the .tar file for Netscape from the CD)  I installed Netscape
because I had problems with the Mozilla that came on the Debian CDs.  I
was able to connect to my ISP, then start Mozilla, but the one thing
that I couldn't do in Mozilla was go to a website by typing in the URL
then hitting enter. Nothing happened when I hit enter.  I was only able
to go to links that were already on the homepage that came up when I
started Mozilla, and then of course follow links from there.  At this
point I am still using Windows 95.  (I have a dual-boot with LILO.)  I
would love to get away from Windows 95.

Karsten, I tried the $ echo $PATH command and it listed five paths, none
of which contained the netscape executable.  When I switched to
/usr/local/netscape and typed:

  ./netscape
or
  /usr/local/netscape/netscape

I got the following:

  error in loading shared libraries
  libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2:  cannot open shared object file:  no such
file or directory

Is this because Netscape 4.75 has problems?  If I buy a new set of
Debian CDs (from Cheapbytes, where I bought the last set), would it come
with a working browser?

I do appreciate all the help that this mailing list provides!

Peter Christensen