Re: Driver help

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 12:14:30AM -0700, Nate Amsden wrote:
> Forrest Cameranesi wrote:
>

> > 1) Does Debian come with any drivers for my computer?
>
> depends on the computer and what kind of hardware it runs
>
> > 2) Do I have the drivers on the Debian install disk?
>
> some of them are, some of them are not..depends on the hardware
>
> > 3) From whom or where do I request the drivers?
>
> search the www for them, many are built into the system, but some
> are not(those that are not can be difficult to install)
>
> > 4) Is there documentation on how to request or install the drivers?
>
> nothing specific it varies from driver to driver, there are dozens of
> sources for drivers each typically each one has its own way to install
> them. very driver dependant
>
> > 5) At what point or location do I get to install the drivers to make
> > Debian able to locate my computer's hard drives and use my specific
> > motherboard?
>
> if it cannot locate the hard disk it would help if you told us exactly
> what kind of disk controller you have and what kind of drives(ide/scsi/etc)
>

> > Statements:
> > 1) I will gladly pay for this information!
>
> don't need to :) just be patient.
>
> > 2) I do not have internet access beyond getting a non-Debian-using
> > neighbor to type my hand-written request for me, as I don't type.
>
> i would probably honestly reccomend against using linux then,
> linux's biggest strengths in my view are it's networking and
> internet based support. unless your computer is made up of
> the most basic components internet access will be required
> before/during and after installation and configuration.
>
> > 3) He is my only access, and his Mac G4 does not have floppy drives,
> > nor does it have a CD burner, etc.
>
> not good ..
>
> > 4) This is my first computer.
>
> unless you know someone local that can help, i wouldn't go with
> debian then. if you want linux probably its good to start with
> mandrake or something. its not as good as debian at the core
> but you can get used to what the system feels like and when
> you do get net access you can move on to the more powerful
> stuff. ive trained and assisted many many people(in person)
> with debian and with linux/unix in general, it takes a lot
> of time and patience and internet access of course!
<snip>

People are so afraid of the all mighty install.  I guess that is why
you suggest Mandrake.  Why don't you at least keep it in the family and
suggest Progeny?

Once you install it really isn't much to apt-get kde or whatever
Mandrake has that is suppose to make things easier for a newbie.

I started with Debian when the installation routine was much harder than
it is now.  It was my second operating system after using Windows for 6
months to a year.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted