Re:Apt cache file corrupt??

Firstly sorry about the threading etc, as I'm trying to monitor through the digest version and hotmail...
Anyway, on with the show..

I sucked down Sid the other night, and along the way one file
failed to download, I was using 'apt-get -d' so I could monitor
the update later.  So I grabbed this file, and a couple of others
on a 'doze box at work and put them on a floppy, with the intention
of using 'apt-cache add'.  But when I came to do this I got..

...maybe the reason is apt changed a lot in the version 0.5.x in sid, i
mean you made an upgrade to apt 0.5.x and the cache-files changed. then
you take the changed files to a box with the old apt-cache-files and it
didn't worked. just try to make an apt-get update on one other maschine,
do the upgrade and then try to copy the cache files between these two
machines, if it works you have the prob. (e.g. gnome-apt is removed when
upgrading apt because the cache files changed).
Just a hint, please inform me if i'm right :-)

Maybe, but I'd only downloaded the upgrade (apt-get -d), so apt
itself shouldn't have yet been upgraded... perl-5.6 was though.
And I hadn't copied the cache file anywhere, I'd manually downloaded
3 packages on a Windows machine (onto a windows floppy), then tried
to add them to the set of downloaded packages using "apt-cache add"
Either way, I managed to get the full set of current packages
downloaded last night, so I shan't need those on the floppy, assuming the proper upgrade (apt-get without the -d) works tonite!
I would be nice to know what went wrong though...

thanks
Steve