apt-getting KDE 2.1 breaks startx

I recently installed Debian potato and apt-getted helix-gnome.

Everything was working fine.

Since I heard about KDE 2.1, and I prefer to use KDE, I did:

apt-get install kdebase task-kde

from

deb http://kde.tdyc.com potato main crypto optional qt1apps

The install worked fine, but now when I type

startx

it starts up, and then immediately returns to a $ prompt.

I can't find an error log anywhere.  Nothing.

I didn't even set KDE to be my default window manager.

Without an error log, I don't have a clue how to fix this.

If I run vncserver, and connect from my windoze box, KDE appears, but a crash dialog is evident, so clicking on any icon does
nothing.

If someone could provide an idea of how to fix this, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Ross
Dell Dimension 300
STB Velocity 128 4M