problems with mouse and GNOME, KDE

I am at my wit's end on this one and I am hoping that someone else has
seen this. Testing, XFree86-4, KDE2, Helix GNOME, Logitech wireless wheel
mouse, and starting X session from gdm...and and using /dev/gpmdata
repeater for X.

If I log into a twm, mwm, cwm session from gdm then the mouse works
fine. If I log into GNOME or KDE and I left-click on the root window
the session hangs. I can move the mouse but cannot click on
anything. Right-clicking does not have this effect. I've looked in
.xsession-errors, .kde2-errors, .gnome-errors. I can't find anything
that even *hints* at why this is happening. Also looked in /var/log to
see if there is some strange IRQ conflict w/ the mouse
port. Nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

--
---
Nathan Valentine - nathan@uky.edu