Re: Sendmail account setup

I heard that Ernest Johanson wrote this on 02/11/00:

> You can assign the users a shell of /bin/false, which will prevent normal
> logins to the machine. Users won't be able to directly set forwarding
> either though, so you might need a way for them to do that. Somewhere I
> have seen a CGI script that would  administer forwarding through a web
> page, but I don't remember where right now. If that's of interest, let me
> know and I'll see if I can pull it up.

Instead of using /bin/false as a shell, and a CGI script to configure the
account, he could make a shell script (or C program, for that matter) that
allowed the user to change his password, create a .forward file, using some
kind of system like "vacation" (comes with sendmail, I guess - never used
it), etc.

Of course, if this is going to be implemented in an ISP (which means
clueless lusers), telnetting/sshing to the ISP server to change the
configuration of his account is probably too much to ask to the users. So I
guess a CGI script would be better.

Regards, sena...

--
sena@decoy.ath.cx