Base Install (sorta) - DSL Setup

I downloaded the Debian CD yesterday, and proceeded to install... I think it
only did a base install with very few other libs or the such. I have a view
questions.

While talking on irc.debian.org pthree was helping me setup my dsl... I
followed the following format:

update-modules

probemod tulip

pump

-- this got me online, but would continually freeze when trying to update the
dist. I was wondering if this was the http or my setup for the DSL. How can I
setup my dsl so it will connect each time I boot? I downloaded dhcp-conf and
tried to compile and got this error:

Cannot open file (newt.h)

-- or something along those lines, after asking in my previous install
(updated over a normal modem) I used

apt-get install libnewt-dev

--but now whenever I try this I get "Cannot find library"... Last time it
downloaded and isntalled and I tried make again, and I got the error "Cannot
open data.o". Arn't some of themost commonly used libraries on one of the
debian CD's? If so which one, and how do I install them?

Thanks for any help,

Henning Seljenes

aka. grummet