Re: Horrifying suggestion

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 11:53:48AM +0100, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

> > > $ lynx -source http://go-gnome.com/ > /usr/bin/go-gnome
>
> <!-- Snip -->
>
> > but then again you should not run lynx as root!
>
> Actually, the root login comes later down in my suggestion ;-)

<pedant>
[eb@socrates eb]$ ls -l /usr/bin/fubar
ls: /usr/bin/fubar: No such file or directory
[eb@socrates eb]$ echo foobar > /usr/bin/fubar
bash: /usr/bin/fubar: Permission denied
[eb@socrates eb]$
</pedant>

see your quoted lynx command ;-)

> Right! When I get experienced enough with Debian, I'll try to see
> just what it was that helix gnome did that debian gnome didn't.
> At the moment I can only be a bit fuzzy (here goes):
>
> 1) Debian gnome didn't fix it so that X  or panel gets started
> after login. Look at the scenario again to see what I had to do
> to fix it.

not sure on that.

> 2) Helix gnome fixed it so that X gets started _before_ login!
> It also started the panel, gmc and help docs after login.

apt-get install gdm|wdm|xdm  isn't this part of the gnome task packages?

> 3) Debian gnome didn't detect the sawmill installation, so it
> never showed up anywhere in Gnome, and I was stuck with twm.

alternatives, either they didn't get configured correctly or sawmill
didn't support the x-window-manager alternative (which would be a bug)

> 4) Helix gnome upgraded sawmill to sawfish, and defaulted to it,
> even giving the option to use twm (selectable at login time).

remember this is potato, it was frozen awhile ago and cannot be
altered now.  (except for security and egregious bugs in the form of
security.debian.org and proposed-updates these changes will be merged
into potato r1)

> 5) Helix gnome removed xdm and installed gdm (I have no idea what
> that means, but I guess it has to do with the login GUI).

xdm and gdm are what display that graphical login screen, they are
both the same thing really, just different appearance.  apt-get
install gdm, apt-get remove xdm.

> Oops! That doesn't sound good. On my installation, bug-buddy is
> supposed to ask me if I really want to send the bug report in,
> and prompt for a text describing how to reproduce the error.
> Can't say for sure if it works or not. Hope I haven't been doing
> any spamming!

all the spams prominatly display:

OS: Redhat Linux 6.2 (Zoot)

or other versions of BugFull Hat.

> Again, I'll wait until I know what I'm talking about before I send
> in a bug report. What's the address of the Debian BTS, please?

http://www.debian.org/Bugs

there is instructions on how to report bugs there, also the reportbug
utility is helpful in reporting bugs.  (it queries the BTS for bugs on
the package your reporting against so you can make sure there isn't
already a report for your problem)

> > (actually im not a programmer, more a bofh/sysadm)
>
> Heh, I do love that BOFH series. You seem on the whole to be a
> bit calmer than the original, though ;-)

im nice on mailing lists --most of the time <g>

of course sadly its much harder to get away with the things in BOFH
then it seems in those stories ;-)   though i have to admit i have
gotten away with the `excuse of the day'  tricks a few times ;p

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/