Re: A few misc. problems

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 10:39:03PM -0700, cxpx wrote:

> A couple of minor things:

...for large values of two.  I've whittled it down to what I can tackle.

> 1. I installed xfstt which works fine but I am not able to change the
> font size in netscape when using true type fonts.  Anybody ever have
> that problem?  Are there some better fonts I could use instead?

Not all fonts support resizing.  The fonts distributed with MS Windows
have traditionally been freely available for use elsewhere.  You may
want to try these.

I recently ran across a reference to a "webfonts" RPM (for RedHat) which
may deuglify your Netscape browsing experience.  Many, many sites use
broken HTML with <font face=foo size= unreadable> tags.  I'd be
interested in seeing how this installs under Debian or if there is a
comperable package.

> 3. How do I start postgres on startup?	I'm confused with all the
> different /etc/rc*.d directories.  This is how I think it is supposed
> to go:

> 'su -c postgres postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1
> &'
>
> Do I put this in a '/etc/rc?.d/S??postgres' file?  What should go in
> place of the question marks?  Do I need a Kill file as well?

AFAIK, this should have been configured for you.  Look at
/etc/init.d/postgresql.

You can run this script (/etc/init.d/foo) directly.  The
/etc/rc<number>.d directories are part of what's called SysV init, and
manage starting and stopping system services.