System freezes unexpectedly

Hello, everyone.  Well, I had hoped that the problem was a freak occurrence,
but it's happening about 2-3 times a week, now.  Unfortunately, there isn't
much fanfare, no flurry of error messages.  Nearly every time I've encountered
a system freeze, the screen had been blanked, so I couldn't see the desktop.
For the most recent time, I was actually sitting at my desk working on stuff
when the system froze.  Everything stopped.  I couldn't kill the X server or
switch consoles.  The thing was totally frozen.  I've checked the logs, but I
didn't see anything special.  In syslog, messages, user.log, etc., it looks
just like normal messages until crash time with boot messages following.  Does
anyone have any suggestions for diagnosing and possibly fixing this problem?
I am running Debian Potato (Last full update was the middle of June) on Kernel
2.2.6.  TIA!

Bye,

-Chris