Re: System freezes unexpectedly

Chris Mayes wrote:

> Hello, everyone.  Well, I had hoped that the problem was a freak occurrence,
> but it's happening about 2-3 times a week, now.  Unfortunately, there isn't
> much fanfare, no flurry of error messages.  Nearly every time I've encountered
> a system freeze, the screen had been blanked, so I couldn't see the desktop.
> For the most recent time, I was actually sitting at my desk working on stuff
> when the system froze.  Everything stopped.  I couldn't kill the X server or
> switch consoles.  The thing was totally frozen.  I've checked the logs, but I
> didn't see anything special.  In syslog, messages, user.log, etc., it looks
> just like normal messages until crash time with boot messages following.  Does
> anyone have any suggestions for diagnosing and possibly fixing this problem?
> I am running Debian Potato (Last full update was the middle of June) on Kernel
> 2.2.6.  TIA!
Are both the keyboard and the mouse not working? Try to switch the caps
lock and the numlock off and on. If they work OK then you will need to
look at your installation. If they don't work (either or both) that it
will narrow the search to a consol confilct or a bad keyboard.
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems