Re: bad login tracking

>UNKNOWN  ttyp1        ruf2-6.evoserve. Tue Jul 27 21:13 - 21:13  (00:00)
>chadi    ttyp1        ruf2-6.evoserve. Tue Jul 27 21:12 - 21:12  (00:00)
>
>   question, is there any way for as to know as to what exactly is the 'guess'
> user name someone tried to enter w/c resulted in the UNKNOWN record for /var/
>log/btmp ?
>   we know that for the entry "chadi", that there really is a user chadi on th
>e system but his password was wrongly entered.  is there any way for us to cap
>ture and know what the wrongly enetered password is (guess password) and recor
>d it in some file ?

in /etc/login.defs, the following line controls whether unknown
usernames are recorded:

#
# Enable display of unknown usernames when login failures are recorded.
#
LOG_UNKFAIL_ENAB        no

To get unknown passwords, you have to edit the source.

Note that this is a Bad Idea (to get the usernames or passwords)
since it tends to 1) give you a list of the users' passwords and
2) give others a well-known place to look for them too.
Any user can run lastb.

Carl