Re: basic info (so this newbie can quit bugging you pros)

pplaw wrote:

> hello d-community,
>
> i can at least boot d-linux (so, i get some "credit," right?).
>
> however, i get probs w/ dselect ("installation script returned error
> exit status 1").   it feels like i'm skipping steps/concepts, which are
> probably explained in the man(ual).
>
> anyway, the "pro" talk seems to be in favor of shutting off newbies, so
> before that happens, can someone gently give me help regarding the
> man(ual).  (believe me, i'd love to find the answers on my own by
> reading a manual.  i just need help getting to it.)
>
> this is where i am:
>
> i've downloaded
> "/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/doc/man.db_2.3.10-68.deb".
>
> question:
>
> how does one actually read this file?  (is it a "text" doc? is it a doc
> that can only be read through linux?  if so, which program/command do i
> need?)
>
> ia,t.
>
> bentley taylor.

Bently, Please don't take offense (I'm going to use you as a test case.:

This post is a prime example of exactly why we should NOT separate the
newbies  questions from those of more experienced users. We DEFINITELY
should have some pointers on where a newbie should start in order to
solve their own problems (with Debian). However, as I posted earlier,
some of these folks are so new that they don't even know WHAT questions
to ask let alone where to look for answers on their own.

Bently, you should begin by reading most of the info on the Debian web
site, including the historical info. It is obvious from your query that
you really have a lot to learn, and that's not a bad thing. It will be
fun! It will take lots of patience!!! It will require HELP from more
experienced users, and most of us are willing. In your case, and in my
experience most people starting with ANY Linux distro should buy, or
borrow, or check out from a library "Running Linux" pub. by O'Reilly &
Associates; the one I have is second edition, but I have not seen a
newer one. It will be an invaluable tool because it will give you a
better understanding of what you are doing and WHY. I suggest this in
addition to any Debian specialized books, because it will provide a base
of understanding of what Linux and most other Unix clones are all about.
I do not suggest using it to try to install and run Debian, only as a
really great background tool. By the time you get a clear understanding
of what is needed to install and run Linux in general, you will have the
knowledge to ask the correct questions specefic to Debian. I also would
suggest that you treat your experience with Linux as though it is a trip
to a foreign land. You speak English (the Microsoft variety). But that
is not the language or customs here. So when you arrive it will be a
matter of survival to learn the language (Unix, Linux,) and the dialect
(Debian). This is exactly how I train anyone to use Linux, and it works.
Good Luck and send the questions along!
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems