Re: Using Rock Ridge extentions with Windowns NT 4

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 david.cureton@nokia.com wrote:

> 		Since I do not have a CD-ROM in my linux box I am trying to
> serve the Debian CD from my Wintel NT 4.0 box via FTP. This appears to work
> OK except that NT does uses 8.3 file names of the ISO9660 file system and
> does not make use of the rock ridge extentions. Therefore dselect can not
> find the packages as it expects them to be called.

Recent Debian releases have had official CD's that have been pressen with
Joliet extensions as well so that Windows can read the long file names
much better.

What you could do is generate a custom package file from the contents of
the CD an use that to index it. That is done using the dpkg-scanpackages
tool - you'll probably have to smb mount it to do that though.

Jason